This eggplant casserole recipe was inspired by Greek moussaka. The original moussaka recipe tastes delicious and takes time to prepare with many steps and ingredients included. This recipe is simplified and modified to make it an easy and healthy dinner option.
2. Peel and slice the eggplants into half circles.
3. In a large skillet on the medium-high heat brown ground lamb till almost no longer pink, then add two diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and brown for 1-2 more minutes.
4. Use 1/3 of the sliced eggplants and place them at the bottom of the oven-safe dish.
5. Next, add the layer of half of the ground meat mixture. Add half of the container ricotta cheese. Repeat layers one more time: eggplant layer, meat layer, ricotta cheese layer adding a pinch of salt in between.
5. For the final layer, decorate with eggplant and tomato slices. Bake for 25 minutes in the oven.
7. Once casserole is baked, add shredded cheese on top and bake for 5 more minutes.